Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Cure: great band, just not live

Oof. Long time no write. I'm sure a lot more has happened than what I actually remember. One of my memorable pre-Fall 2004 school year memories was going to the curiosa festival for free. My friend got hooked up, hence I got hooked up, with some free passes. The show consisted of The Cure, Interpol, The Rapture, Mogwai and I don't remember who else. All I know is that I wanted to see everyone BUT the Cure and all I ended seeing was the Cure. You see, when you get stuff for free you don't really appreciate it as much as if you had spent your hard earned dollars on it. Clearly that was an obvious statement, but hey, stating the obvious is one of my fortes. So we ended up getting there so late that the only band left was the Cure.

Robert Smith is one bloated, decrepit and still very tortured soul. I mean who the hell could write THAT MANY love songs? Anyhow, long story short, the Cure blows live. I hate to say it because I love their music. I'm not one of their die-hard fans, whom are pretty particular fans might I say. This girl scared the crap out of me and my chum. One band member merely began to pluck the strings of his guitar, and she immediately let out a blood curdling scream. I swore to god that I was only the Ed Sullivan show the day the Beatles performed, she was that hysterical. It wasn't even apparent what song had just begun and it surely wasn't one of their singles. Maybe she just got caught up in the moment.

The performance was a disappointment, but I knew what to expect because I had seen their last train wreck of a performance at Coachella. Why did I go to see them again? Because it was free. At least this time, Robert Smith didn't get the lyrics messed up, which he did at Coachella. That's unacceptable. That's what band rehearsal's for. That's also what years and years of coke will do to you. The worst part of all was that the band didn't really play "the hits". The reason you go see a band like the Cure is for the nostalgia. And you shell out $50 (or $0 if you're lucky) and then you get to hear all these obscure new songs you don't really want to hear. I wish bands wouldn't be so snooty and just play the hits. Play the hits. That's what we paid for. Play the hits. The Cure's set list should basically be the same as their Greatest Hits album. Verbatim. Maybe with their "new single" and a couple other songs sprinkled in here and there, but otherwise...greatest hits. Give the people what they want I say. I don't think that's too much to ask. These old washed out bands think their so high and mighty sometimes. I'm so glad I didn't pay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home