Friday, October 29, 2010

Same Shit, Different Day

Working on the Upper East Side affords me the opportunity to ride the 4,5,6 at least three times a week. Joy joy joy.  I hate the 4,5,6 train.  It eats it the most.  The 4,5,6 is always miserably crowded and teeming with lame-o's or wannabe finance guys with bad shoes.

But once and again you have moments of brilliance amidst the misery.  This is your job, as a citizen of the world; to find these beautiful moments.  Since I'd forgotten to bring my headphones, I was forced into a very organic commuting experience, however the odds turned in my favor when I actually got a seat on the uptown 4.  Ching!

Three teenage boys stood before me, discussing girls, or one in particular that tickled their fancy.  They had that dorky, sweet charm I often attribute to the memory of my old high school self.  The boy in question pondered his feelings for a certain girl and came to the realization aloud that he hadn't felt strongly about anyone like that for the last four or five years.

"I remember when I used to feel those crazy type feelings for somebody.  Man, remember how that felt? It was nice to feel like that.  It's been like four years since I used to feel that way..." 

A hush came over the boys as they contemplated this.

These kids had to be around 18 or 19 years old, tops.  So according to my calculations, we were about square.  The 18 year old and I have exactly the same romantic track record.  One great love, then nothing to follow for the next four years.  Oh me oh my.  It doesn't get any easier, does it?  I wish someone would've warned me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home