Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hugs Not Drugs

So I'll have you know I passed. I was able to stay away from Facebook for a whole day. Truth be told I jumped back in the very next day and FB'd the shit out of everything, but it's nice to know I can put my social crutch in the closet for a day or so. I'm actually taking today off FB as well, thank you very much. Baby steps to freedom y'all.

So yesterday I ventured into the city wearing my "Hugs Not Drugs" t-shirt. I'll tell you something, that shirt was a hit about town. Most everyone either looked twice or made some favorable comment about it. I actually had an elderly woman stop to tell me in all sincerity that my shirt was "simply wonderful," which is great because I was literally stoned off my ass when she stopped me. The security guard at an Italian eatery place in Flatiron gave me props too. The boys in Chelsea however, weren't so favorable. The front desk boy at David Barton Gym told me he was happy to hear I was enjoying the gym as much as I did, though in appointing himself to speak for everyone, the message on my shirt wasn't welcomed in that particular facility. For the members of David Barton, things were the other way around. It was all about drugs and not hugs.

 Whoa. I had no idea. I was wearing something that proved to be the equivalent of a YES! on Prop 8 shirt.

I suggested the shirt had an ironic purpose to it, or at least that was my vision when I left the house. He lightened up a bit, but said he would accept the idea of drugs being stricken in favor of hugs on a shirt only if it were a big fat joke. Really.

The Chelsea gays take their drugs seriously. They like 'party.' And though I initially thought the front desk boy was just being a chode, he was kind of right. I was taking Steven Limpin's class again in a final attempt to suck ass and get put on as a substitute yoga teacher at DBG, however when Steven saw me, he pretty much blew me off. This was not going well at all. The "Hugs Not Drugs" shirt was tossing salt in my game with the Chelsea gays!

Before checking out I light-heartedly attempted to convey my overall stance to the front desk, proposing that in a perfect world we could have both hugs and drugs, but this t-shirt only had one of the two available, so for the moment I'd just take what I could get.

Fortunately I didn't have to wait too long. As I was leaving David Barton, one of the personal trainers offered me ecstasy after asking my age and guessing I was 20 years old. Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home